Downtown Revisited

When I was little, I had this baby sitter whom my brother and I called Grandma Betty.  She wasn't our actual grandma, but because she also watched her grandkids and that's what they called her, we just joined in the fun.  In all the time that she watched us, she never drove. Whether or not that's because she never learned or she didn't like it, I never knew; but she never let that stop her from taking us on special outings.  Probably one of my earliest memories, I remember she would gather us up and we would take the bus downtown and she would get us lunch at Subby's (cookie included) and then we used to walk around, always taking the time to stop in front of The Victoria Theater. While taking dance classes growing up, I always looked forward to those trips because that was my favorite stop.  But I always remember the bustle and noise and thought how cool downtown was.  

Throughout middle and high school, the economy declined and downtown seemed to be steadily declining into shambles, and I never wanted to venture that way.  I had my local spots that were my go-to places, and since everything I really needed was within a 10 mile radius, what was the point of going anymore?  My parents didn't really want me driving down there after I got my license and as a high schooler, there really wasn't a whole lot to do for my age group.

I started to feel a revival in my love for downtown about twelve years ago when my dad and I started our annual tradition of going to the Dayton Celtic Festival, but especially in more recent years.  I've tried to be a bit more adventurous and actually branch out.  I've always loved The Victoria Theater and the Schuester Center, and the Neon and Canal Street Tavern both have awesome vibes, but my favorite new location is probably The Dayton Racquet Club.  I've always loved getting dressed up and going out to dinner, and so that's what my family did tonight.

Getting dressed up and going someplace fancy for dinner is always great, but the club takes your dining experience to a whole different level. The staff is the most incredibly friendly staff I have ever met, and they just make you feel so important.  Kiki and Joe are two of the best people who you will ever meet if you get the chance.  (And the drinks aren't bad either;) )

{Try a "Berry Kissable"}


Located at the top of the Kettering Tower, the views are spectacular, especially when the sun is setting.  Eating dinner and sipping cocktails in that setting just makes you feel like you should be in a movie to be honest.  And to make the evening even better, a live jazz band played through the evening. I've never been a jazz fan, and I'm sorry to say that I probably never will be, but it just made the already fabulous evening into a spectacular one.

{I love a beautiful sunset.}

{City lights shine bright.}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy Body. Healthy Mind. Healthy Soul.

Oh Captain, My Captain, Black Sails is Done...